Another simple change today: Ditch the cling film/plastic wrap/whatever it’s called where you live. How strange we humans are to think that wrapping food in single-use plastic is the best way to keep food fresh or clean or safe. Clearly it isn’t. Here are a few ways to replace it:
- Use tin foil instead. It’s only a little more expensive but you can re-use it, and it doesn’t stick together when you try to pull it out of its box, rendering it completely useless! Tin foil is also stronger and keeps food just as fresh. It’s also easy to recycle.
- Use paper instead. Obviously not so useful if you’re storing food in the fridge, but perfect for sandwiches or picnic food because you can re-use the paper for wiping your hands/face/clothing if you’re a messy eater!
- Invest in a few re-usable containers. Try to buy ones made of recycled plastic, if you can. For the price of 2 or 3 boxes of cling film, you can buy a couple of containers that will last for years if you look after them. Most can be put in the freezer too.
- Invest in a couple of glass containers or dishes if your leftovers are going in the fridge…or give the leftovers to the cat or dog to save on pet food! (obviously only things that your pet can actually eat safely!)
- If you’ve bought cling film to wrap your torso in (a la ‘The Full Monty’) in order to lose weight, don’t bother. It doesn’t work. Go to the gym instead!
- If you’ve just had a tattoo and the artist tries to wrap your anchor/naked lady/skull inky artwork in the plastic stuff, ask them what the hell they used before cling film and ask them to do that instead!
Really, I can’t thing of a good reason to use cling film over any of the suggestions above. So, it’s simple. Stop clinging to the film and strike it from your shopping list today!